Monday, March 31, 2008
"In the history of twentieth-century fashion and portrait photography, Horst's contribution figures as one of the most artistically significant and long lasting, spanning as it did the sixty years between 1931 and 1991."
Joan Crawford, 1938
Lisa as V.O.G.U.E., 1940
Chanel Beauty, 1987
First Lady Nixon
(I LOVE THIS! color and all...)
"Horst's career can be said to have reached Old Master status when the world's most famous pop goddess, Madonna, created her celebrated hymn to classic fashion photography with her single Vogue in 1990. In the video directed by David Fincher, she posed as a recreation of Horst's most iconic fashion image, a model seen from behind, wearing a partially tied corset (seen above from 1939) made by Detolle."
::: If you do not enjoy Madonna, simply fast forward to 4:25
to see the inspiration in action! :::
All quotes: http://www.horstphorst.com/abouthorst.php
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
doing something related to photography,
it's as though I've neglected something essential
to my existence, as though I had
forgotten to wake up."
-Richard Avedon, 1970-
Ronald Fisher, "The Beekeeper", 1981
"As a fashion photographer,
Avedon took human vanity to new heights
even human vanity never dreamed of.
As a portraitist,
he brought us all down to earth."
-Ted Thai for Time-
- Born on May 15, 1923 in New York
- Died on October 1, 2004 at the age of 81
- 1945-65: Staff photographer for Harper's Bazaar
- 1947-84: Photographed French collections in Paris for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar
- Named one of the world's 10 greatest photographers in 1958 - Popular Photography Magazine
- 1966-90: Staff photographer for Vogue
- 1992: First staff photographer for The New Yorker
- 1993: International Center of Photography "Master of Photography" award
--The Richard Avedon Foundation--